Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Control Freaks Let Go

Today, I was perhaps confronted with a most delicate situation. My business partner went ballistic at me for "usurping" her authority and control. I did no such thing. But boy did I get an earful.

Perhaps to understand this situation, you must first understand the management structure in this relationship. I'm the financials part of the relationship and my responsibilities consist mostly of the analytical variety. My partner is the public face of our business. She mainly negotiates our deals. On most all decisions, she and I must agree or come to some sort of compromise before we can execute it, or one of us must defer to the other.

However, today she told me loud and clear that she was in charge, and that I was under no authority to take control, direct, or in any way make any decisions without clearing it with her. Period. And how dare I try to take control. It was as if this was a hostile take over.

In any case, I was very dumstruck by the whole altercation and immediately informed my superiors that we have a problem. Where upon they called her and then she yelled at me for having informed them of the altercation.

All this leads me to reconsider my role, my career, and where I want to go with all of this. This promotion was a mistake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home